The Glacier Express is the slowest express train in the world (I think…), but one of the most beautiful as it glides and chugs along through different landscapes in Switzerland (snow capped mountains to green pastures). We hopped on the train in Chur and took the 6 hour train ride to Zermatt and we highly recommend it!
Some Helpful Facts & Tips about the Glacier Express
- The Glacier Express runs from St. Moritz to Zermatt (about 8 hours total)
- What’s awesome about this train is that it has panoramic windows so that you can get a full view of the magnificent surroundings
- The train is comfortable (with 1st and 2nd class coaches) and have headphones that provide information along the different routes and sites – We opted for 2nd class seats and it was perfectly comfortable (4 chairs across versus 3 chairs across in 1st class). We were also lucky that the train wasn’t entirely full and we got an entire 4-chair seating area to ourselves.
- It’s recommended to book and reserve seats in advance, especially during peak season.
- The train serves drinks, snacks and souvenirs – We pre-ordered dinner on the train and they brought it out to us at the time that we requested. Dinner was mediocre but the service was nice (white table cloth, real silverware etc.).
- Because of the panoramic windows, luggage space is limited to the ends of the coaches and underneath / between seats.
- Get tickets and more information here.
We loved our journey through Swiss mountains! If you get a chance, definitely try it!